FC Buffalo women’s players Carissima Cutrona (Williamsville, NY / University at Buffalo ’18) and Djeynaba “DJ” Thiam (Rochester, NY / Niagara University) have been honored by United Women’s Soccer in their national awards released Wednesday.
Cutrona, fresh off her fall with Medkila IL in Norway, has been named UWS Most Valuable Player in addition to her second-straight season as an All-UWS honoree. Cutrona is All-UWS First Team this year after earning national All-UWS Second Team honors in 2021.
Thiam gives us back-to-back Niagara University alums on All-UWS teams after Kelsey Araujo (now with Le Havre in France) was named 2021 UWS Offensive Player of the Year. Thiam earned All-UWS Second Team honors after authoring some thrilling goals in FCB’s run to the 2022 UWS National Championship Weekend.
Additionally, our staff was honored as the club was named top-five in UWS as:
- Social Media Teams of the Year (4th)
- Live Gameday Experience of the Year (1st)
- Digital Gameday Experience Teams of the Year (2nd)
This was a wonderful year for our club.
- Our UWS team made an incredible run to the top of Penn-NY division, then to victory in the East Conference playoffs before bowing out of a memorable National Championship weekend, which saw a shorthanded bunch push Calgary Foothills before coming up just short in the July heat.
- Our men’s team’s resilience in the face of brutal injury and a coaching change to finish the NPSL season with a win over eventual conference finalist Cleveland SC.
- Our UWS2 team’s success in pushing several players onto the first team despite first division tumult leaving second division league play for Summer 2023.