A good deal of our collegiate players are having pretty solid starts to their seasons. Here’s a round-up:
- There are four former Blitzers suiting up for Canisius: Ryan Schroen and Derek Maier, along with goalkeepers Eric DeHond and Kareem Gray (pictured above). Schroen, Gray and Maier have played every game for the Griffs, who are off to a program-best 5-0-2 start. Both Schroen and Gray have started every game, while Kareem has posted a 1.21 goals against average. DeHond, a transfer from Houghton, fits in neatly behind the elder Gray.
– Jason Gaylord suited up for the Blitzers before obtaining a bad injury during the 2009 season. Now a junior at Old Dominion University, the defender has started all five games for No. 5 in the nation Old Dominion University. The Monarchs will be climbing the rankings after beating No. 2 Creighton, at Creighton, 2-1 on Friday evening. Read more about Jason here.
– Chris Walter’s Hartwick Hawks are 2-1-2. The sophomore has a goal and has started every match.
– Jake Rinow has started all four contests for Cornell, whose record stands unblemished at 4-0. The back is part of a defensive unit that has only allowed one goal.
– Mike Reidy has a goal and an assist for Colgate, who is off to a 1-4-2 start. Mike was Patriot League player of the week to open the season.
– Kendell McFayden scored thrice in 13 appearances for the Rochester Rhinos, including a brace to open his efforts and a goal in the Rhinos’ lone playoff match.
– Playing in the Finnish second division, Daniel Stevens has scored 11 goals for the third-place Palloseura Kemi Kings.
– Buffalo State recently picked up its first win and winger C.J. Scirto has two goals and an assist for the Bengals.
– Marist — and FC Buffalo — captain Joshua Faga has played in all six games for 2-3-1 Red Foxes, taking seven shots on goal.
– Five former FCB players are with Coach K at Medaille. Frankie Valente has a goal for the Mavs and Pablo Ordonez has two assists. Peter Duerden, Austin Tom and Matt Goldwater are also featuring for Medaille.
– Loyola is 3-1-1 and freshman goalkeeper Jordan Dilapo is learning under goalie coach Zach Thornton and a stellar keeper Thurman Van Riper.
– The Bonnies are still searching for their first win, but Steven Carcaterro has started every game for St. Bonaventure.